THIRTEEN INSPIRING GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™ TITLES BROKEN
DURING 2018 SCOTIABANK TORONTO WATERFRONT MARATHON
DOWNLOAD HIGH-RES IMAGES: [https://bit.ly/2S7sDvC]
(Photo Credit: Canada Running Series)
Toronto, ON (October 22, 2018) –GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS, the global authority in record-breaking, presented 13 inspirational runners with official titles after their successful attempts during the 2018 Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon on Sunday, October 21.
This partnership with the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon, which is now in its eighth consecutive year, provided 19 pre-approved runners with the chance to attempt a Guinness World Records title during the half and full marathon in Toronto, Ontario, through on-site verification by an official adjudicator.
Many runners chose to align their attempt with an important cause, making their attempt even more meaningful and memorable.
The following record titles and impressive times were achieved:
- Fastest marathon dressed as a battery (male)
- With an impressive time of 2:59:57.6, Blaine Penny brought positive energy to the race course while dressed as a battery. Penny, the Co-Founder of MitoCanada and TEAMmito Founder ran to bring awareness to the foundation which helps to those affected by mitochondrial disease and educate the public on the importance of mitochondria.
- Fastest half marathon dressed as a television character (female)
- Pamela Bottos, dressed as Lucille Ball, set the record at an incredible time of 1:56:48! Her run benefitted Breast Foot Forward, in memory of her sister-in-law, Pepper.
- Fastest half marathon dressed as a chef (male)
- Daniel Janetos, broke his own time from the 2017 (1:34:53) race by less than 7 minutes! At 1:27:50, Daniel’s attempt during this year’s race assisted the National Wildlife Rehabilitation Foundation (NWRF).
- Fastest marathon with two runners handcuffed together (male)
- Victor Frève-Boucher and his friend, Freüd Fortier-Chouinard, ran in handcuffs together to set the title at a whopping 3:15:42.5. Their first marathon ever was dedicated to helping the charity, the Fondation Élan.
- Fastest half marathon joggling with three objects (male)
- Inspired by Michal Kapral’s successful attempt from 2014, Michael-Lucien Bergeron, followed his footsteps to break the record with his impressive time of 1:17:09.4, today. He hoped to show young athletes that running can be fun.
- Fastest half marathon dressed as a zoo keeper
- Bridget Burns, Guinness World Records title holder, wrangled a new title with her time of 2:04:46.7. Her run benefitted the Friends of High Park Zoo. This new title joins her existing set of records including Fastest half marathon in motocross gear (female) and Fastest marathon dressed as a boxer (female).
- Fastest half marathon carrying golf clubs
- Multiple Guinness World Records title holder, Robert Winckler’s time of 1:57:58.8 set the title while combining his passion for running and golf to help the Kids Help Phone organization. Robert also holds the titles for Fastest half marathon dressed as a cowboy and Fastest half marathon dressed as a swimmer (male).
- Fastest half marathon pushing two double prams (female)
- Julie Hillis made her attempt a family affair with the help of her four young children (Duncan, Sarah, Maggie, and Isa) to break the title at 2:04:59. She hoped to use this attempt to show them the importance of physical fitness, goal-setting and healthy living.
- Fastest Half Marathon dressed as a Video Game Character (Female)
- Dressed as the beloved Nintendo videogame character, runner, Jean Oh, overcame a recent traumatic brain injury to set the title at 1:35:56.2.
- Fastest half marathon dressed as an emoji (male)
- Running as the poo emoji, Bradley Vincent’s incredible time of 1:38:14.1 made history. He even created the costume himself!
- Fastest half marathon dressed in an ice hockey kit (male)
- Evan Latsky made a goal with his quick time of 1:39:50.4 dressed in ice hockey gear. His attempt, which also benefitted the charity of his choice, set the record.
- Fastest half marathon with four runners handcuffed together (male)
- Kyle Pastor, Marco Pelayo, David Duarte, Christopher Hoeppler, made this race one they’ll never forget. Handcuffed to each other, the four friends completed the race in an amazing time of 2:00:28.
- Fastest half marathon in a two-person costume
- Petro Czupiel, who achieved his first Guinness World Records title during last year’s race for the Fastest half marathon dressed as a clown, also made the 2018 race even more special by inviting his brother to join him! Dressed as Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble in the recognizable Flintstone car, Petro and Andrey Czupiel came in at an impressive time of 2:09:27.5.
For more information on these attempts, please contact:
PR Manager, Guinness World Records North America, Inc.
About Guinness World Records
GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS (GWR) is the global authority on record-breaking achievement. First published in 1955, the iconic annual Guinness World Records books have sold over 141 million copies in 22 languages and in more than 100 countries. Additionally, the Guinness World Records: Gamer’s Edition, first published in 2007, has sold more than 4 million copies to date.
Guinness World Records’ worldwide television programmes reach over 750 million viewers annually and more than 3.3 million people subscribe to the GWR YouTube channel, which enjoys more than 450 million views per year. The GWR website receives over 19.9 million visitors annually, and we have over 15 million fans on Facebook.
The Guinness World Records commercial sales division provides customized consultancy services for some of the world’s top brands and agencies to help place record breaking at the heart of their marketing campaigns, employee-engagement programmes, and live and experiential events.